True Leaf Farms
Job Title: Safety Risk Manager (Exempt position)
Department: Plant Operations
Location: San Juan Bautista California and Yuma Arizona
Reports to: Director of Plant Operations
GENERAL PURPOSE OF THE JOB:
The Safety/Risk Manager will work in partnership with Human Resource, Production, Maintenance, Procurement, Quality Assurance, Food Safety, R&D, Shipping and Receiving to eliminate or control hazardous conditions resulting from human error, equipment and machine operations which may lead to human injury and/or property damage. The Safety/Risk Manager will also be responsible for plant security.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Plans and implements safety policies and procedures including the Injury and Illness Prevention Program in compliance with local, state, and federal Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) and other government agencies’ rules and regulations.
- Assist in identification, analysis and control of occupational hazards.
- Implement safety programs specific to employee needs to promote a healthy and safety culture in the workforce including necessary training and follow-up.
- Plans and implements train the trainer programs/tailgate topics for supervisors and employees in safe work practices such as fire prevention, correct handling techniques for chemical products, and equipment.
- Prepares studies and analysis of industrial accident causes and hazards to health and utilizes for developing focused training programs to address problem areas.
- Organizes and monitors inspections of facilities to detect existing or potential accident and health hazards, determines corrective or preventative measures where indicated, and follows up to ensure measures have been implemented.
- Create Job Safety Analysis for all job functions.
- Be actively involved with workers compensations claim reviews and other related matters as assign.
- Address any problem which may arise between medical provider and employer.
- Maintain the management members informed of recent Cal-Osha or other governing agency updates and or changes which may have a direct effect on the company.
- Conduct incident/accident investigations as requested.
- Develop a safety reference library.
- Develop safety committee.
- Organizes the investigation of catastrophic accidents and injuries and cooperates in the preparation of material and evidence for organization use in hearings, lawsuits, and insurance investigations.
- Represents the Company in community or industry safety groups and programs.
- Monitors submission of accident reports required by regulatory agencies.
- Provides information, signs, poster, barriers, and other material to personnel to warn of potential and actual safety hazards and to prevent access to hazardous conditions.
- Assist with transportation of injured workers to medical providers.
- Responsible for the perimeter security of the plants and the safety of employees, customers, vendors, visitors, etc.
- Organizes, trains, and plans for plant evacuation having full mock evacuations annually.
- Performs other duties as assigned
Yes, supervises safety staff.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
Bachelor's degree (B. A.) from four-year College or university; or five to 10 years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the public.
Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference, and fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
Very High Skills: Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
Must possess valid CA driver’s license and be insurable
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Read, Write & Speak Spanish
- Must be able to relocate to our different processing areas.
Working knowledge of Microsoft Office suite of applications (Word, PowerPoint, Excel), web-based applications
Have at least 5 years’ experience working in the agricultural industry and employee relations.
Automobile, computer, printer and all office environment equipment.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. M/F/D/V.