Farming since 1976, Capay Organic is a leading grower of organic produce. Inspired by the idea of farming sustainably, this second-generation, family owned company pioneered the organic food movement and connects consumers with the land and farm that grows our food. The company aims to change the food system to a more sustainable model that focuses on seasonal produce from local farms. Our diverse crop allows us to offer fresh, seasonal produce to our wholesale, retail, food service, and restaurant partners. Capay Organic operates at some of the best farmers markets in the greater Sacramento and San Francisco Bay Area.
ABOUT THE POSITION:
Currently we are seeking an experienced, passionate Organic Grower to join our team in the Sacramento Valley region. This position is responsible for overseeing cultural practices, production, labor management- tractor drivers, irrigators, production & shop. Our growing programs include wet veg, leaf, melons, tomatoes, dry veg, specialty crops and orchards.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Execution of growing programs including annual budget and planning
- Supervising and leading a production team
- Cultivating, weeding, land prep, irrigation, applications & nutrition
- Team building and training in the areas of safety, food safety and general work requirements
- Record keeping for growing programs including month end reporting
- Equipment maintenance and field records
- Develop and maintain relationships with vendors, suppliers and intercompany departments
- Travel as needed to other growing regions
- 5+ year’s organic production, background in agronomy or crop science with combination of formal education and/or practical experience.
- Bilingual – English/Spanish preferred
- Results oriented “Team Leader”
- Written, computer, effective communicator, mathematical, reasoning & physical demand on the farm.
- Ability to plan ahead and to look at the big picture.
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. M/F/D/V.