Sea Mist Farms is the largest grower of artichokes in the world. The company farms approximately 3,000 artichoke row crop acres annually. This opportunity is available in Castroville, CA.
We are seeking a Production Specialist who is an assertive individual with an Agricultural science background to be a part of our production team. This individual will have the opportunity to manage certain pest control strategies, schedule certain crew field cultural practices, participate in planting and irrigation decisions, be part of an Integrated Pest Management Team and be part of a dynamic and growing company.
SCOPE OF ROLE
- Principal belief in doing quality work and commitment to support the Ocean Mist label and company’s image and goals.
- Supervise direct seeded crop plantings and keep accountable records of the same.
- Supervise baiting activities on perennial artichokes for control of vertebrates, slugs and snails. This includes developing new techniques to control vertebrate and invertebrate pests in Conventional artichoke production.
- Supervise field crew herbicide applications in perennial artichoke production systems.
- Keep detailed records of applications and costs of materials and labor of all pesticide applications on Sea Mist Farms ranches.
- Work with the Production Manager in maintaining Sea Mist Farms County(s) Pesticide permits.
- Work with Production Manager to maintain Organic certification on organic ground.
- Work with the Production Manager in maintaining Sea Mist Farms ranches “food safe”. Participate in CDFA inspections under the direction of the Production Manager.
- Work with Production Manager in learning all aspects of drip irrigation on perennial and annual cropping systems.
- Be willing to work as part of a production team that expects excellence in all areas of vegetable production.
- Develop a protocol for the use of a propane flamer for weed control in organic ground.
SKILLS, ABILITIES AND REQUIREMENTS
- B.S. in an AG production field of study.
- Courses in accounting and/or business management are desirable.
- Ag internship experience a plus.
- Pest Control License is desired.
- Strong communication skills are required. Willingness to learn and speak Spanish to better communicate with field employees.
- Must be able to work both independently and as part of a team; identify and resolve problems; able to work in a dynamic and entrepreneurial environment; and to coordinate multiple high visibility projects.
- Must possess a Class C California Driver’s License in good standing with a clean driving record.
- Ability to work with and manage a high level of detailed information.
- Computer skills required (Excel, Word, and Access).
- Travel to other remote company locations as required by management.
- Work involves walking up to two miles daily in fields, stoop and inspect fields and plants; talking, kneeling, hearing, using hands to handle, feel or operate objects, tools, or controls and reach with hands and arms. Vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
- The employee may be required to push, pull, lift, and/or carry 50 pounds without undue physical exertion.
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. M/F/D/V.