JOB TITLE: Purchasing Supervisor
DEPARTMENT: Human Resources
LOCATION: Coachella, Ca.
REPORTS TO: Sr. Human Resources Manager
TRAVEL: Yes (Somis, Ca.)
WORK SCHEDULE: Must work a minimum of 40 hours per week; schedule will be determined by the Sr. Human resources Manager.
In this position, you will be responsible for coordinating transfers, inventories and other needs as requested by sales and field operations (Coachella, Somis, Mexico and Nogales). You will manage all purchasing of packaging, supplies for pack house operations, service contractors and materials for cultural operations. This position is responsible for purchasing/renting equipment and vehicles for the company. You will ensure registration and insurance is current. The scope is broad, ranging from sourcing new vendors, vendor negotiation, placing and adjusting orders, tracking inventory, planning future purchasing and monitoring product costs and quality. The Purchasing Manager is responsible for maintaining an adequate supplier base to provide all needed production materials and services on time; conforming to specification; and at a competitive total cost.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Conduct inventory counts; develop and communicate inventory management policies and track inventories using manual and computerized systems.
- Ensure adequate supplies such as fertilizer, stakes, twine and any material needed for cultural operations.
- Maintain communications with Mexico operations to ensure supplies as requested by field operations, assist in US custom issues and transfers.
- Evaluate and generate a vendor/supplier performance scorecard based on quality, price, on-time delivery, inventory management and innovation.
- Maintain strong understanding of market conditions, market trends on key commodity driven items, communicate financial implications, and update senior management on potential supply risks.
- Meet with suppliers to maintain relationships and to analyze quotes and service. Analyze buying effectively to ensure best quality, yield, and value are being purchased.
- Monitor and maintain inventory levels utilizing established forecasting methods to ensure an adequate supply.
- Responsible for vehicle registration and insurance requirements on new vehicles purchase.
- Directly solve operational issues with vendors. Liaison among suppliers, wholesalers, producers, internal departments and customers.
- Review and resolve vendor claims and contracts for conformance to company policy.
- Work with Food Safety Department regarding supply chain documentation, product list and any changes with suppliers new and old.
- Work with accounting on receiving, transfers, costs and reconciliation issues
- Update job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks; participating in professional organizations.
- Work with shop manager for purchasing needs over his authorized spending limit.
- Attend and interact in Tuesday’s sales meeting.
EDUCATION AND TRAINING:
- 3 to 5 years of overall combined purchasing and procurement.
- Degree in Business Administration or Accounting preferred
- Excellent accounting software user and administration skills
- Be thorough and accurate. You will be tasked with ensuring data integrity, identifying and addressing process improvements in our financial operations and developing solutions. You must have strong organizational skills allowing you to manage multiple priorities while maintaining exceptional attention to detail.
- Be proactive. You are eager to contribute and learn, ask lots of questions, and provide solutions before we even know there are issues. You are dedicated about making ongoing process improvements.
- Be a natural problem-solver. You identify challenges, analyze the root causes, seek to understand rationale behind current processes and provide solutions.
- Work independently and follow tasks through to completion and meet commitments, proactively seeking guidance as necessary.
- Have a positive attitude and the desire to provide impeccable support to Senior Management. team members with high levels of customer service. You have an ability to communicate directly, concisely and with a balanced tone, on paper and verbally, formally and informally.
The employee is regularly required to stand, walk, and use hands to handle or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
The noise level and working conditions are similar to those for an administrative office. The employee is occasionally exposed to hot, cold, wet and/or humid conditions; moving mechanical parts; high, precarious places; fumes or airborne particles; toxic or caustic chemicals; outside weather conditions; extreme cold or heat.
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. M/F/D/V.