Position: West Regional Produce Buyer
Reports To: National Produce Procurement Manager
The West Regional Produce Buyer is responsible for sourcing, and purchasing weekly volumes of organic produce as determined by the recipe specifications. Primary responsibilities include: purchasing, inventory management, and forecasting product needs.
Position partners with National Produce Procurement Manager, West Coast Warehouse Manager and Team, Kitchen team and interfaces regularly with other DC buyers and teams
Typical Work Week:
Approximately 50 hours per week, including possible weekend time:
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Essential Functions: include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Source the highest quality organic produce, ensure products are purchased at the most competitive price and delivered on time for production.
• Purchase and maintain accurate levels of inventory to meet production needs while minimizing overages and waste.
• Utilizing the forecast model, partner with the Prep team to ensure proper yields are covered for each production cycle.
• Create, manage and continually evolve Sun Basket’s produce offering by establishing and maintaining excellent farm partnerships.
• Identify new vendors and maintain existing vendor relationships, assist in building a national vendor list.
• On-board new vendors and ensure each meets the full range of Sun Basket vendor requirements including traveling to their sites for inspections and visits
• Design and curate a unique and exciting organic produce offering for 20,000+ customers every week, utilizing local organic farms while maintaining margins.
• Timely and accurate forecasting inventory needs and order placement.
• Provide forecasted pricing and availability to Kitchen team.
• Work directly with QA team to ensure highest product quality and vendor compliance.
• Reconcile invoices with receiving, purchase orders, billing, etc.
• Daily upkeep of data (price, UOM, producer, locale, substitutions etc.) including new produce offerings, farm and description updates.
• Cross-train with other regional buyers and provide back-up when needed.
• Maintain working knowledge of organic marketplace trends, pricing and competitive vantage point with our highest customer standards at the forefront.
• Develop and maintain product specifications
• Preparation of weekly metrics.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Experience and knowledge of organic produce, farms and supply chain.
• Strong relationship builder.
• Bachelor's degree is preferred. Food and farm background and knowledge are important.
• Stellar verbal and written communications skills, experienced in negotiations.
• Skilled in: Math, data analysis, buying (with a high degree of computer proficiency).
• Excel and Word proficiency mandatory; a fondness of spreadsheets is critical to success in this role.
• Solid systems experience and working knowledge of procurement software solutions.
• Strong organization and planning skills amidst a busy workplace.
• Proven ability to simultaneously handle multiple priorities and deadlines with laser-sharp attention to detail.
• Must be self-motivated, results-oriented, entrepreneurial, passionate, fun, proactive, creative and a team player.
• Able to work independently.
• Experienced in creating, negotiating, and administration of contracts.
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. M/F/D/V.