Director of Food Safety & Quality Assurance
Summary / Objective
The main responsibilities of this position is to direct, manage, maintain, and lead an effective Food Safety Program and for the oversight and management of the Quality Assurance Program.
The desired candidate must have the ability and experience to review and evaluate Food Safety / Quality Assurance issues and concerns within the operation and propose resolutions to Management.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Audit established food safety program elements for effectiveness, identify issues and develop corrective action plans.
- Assess all types of risk including equipment contact, environmental concerns, human contact, and general harvest and sanitation processes.
- Develop and lead audit process.
- Manage the Sanitation team to ensure proper equipment cleaning and sanitation.
- Train sanitation team to correctly follow food safety Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s) and Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points (HACCP).
- Ability to investigate all food safety related customer commodity rejections, recommend and/or coordinate corrective actions.
- Maintain current Trace and Recall system and follow through to resolution.
- Complete and file all required reports and documentation.
- Oversee all aspects of the Quality Assurance Team for plant and field operations.
- Responsible for the training needs of the department’s workforce to ensure compliance with all Quality policies and procedures.
- Maintain and update all QA Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s)
- Ensure all employees are utilizing Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP’s)
- Maintain compliance with Good Manufacturing Practices, including sanitation, pest control, security, and temperature control.
- Maintain and oversee the completion of all required records mandated by the Food Safety Modernization Act and Primus Global Food Safety Audit scheme.
Requirements & Qualifications
- Valid Driver’s License
- Minimum (4) years’ experience with at least 2-3 years of field quality experience
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Bilingual (English & Spanish)
- Strong organizational, problem-solving, and analytical skills
- Computer proficient with Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint
- Must be able to work on multiple tasks simultaneously requiring communication and interaction with all levels of the organization
- Ability to train and lead others in proper Quality functions and Company Standards, policies and procedures.
- Affirmatively and effectively support company/management decisions.
- Ability to clearly communicate with auditors, government inspectors, and counterparts in the industry.
- Ability to work outdoors in heat or cold and wet environments.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in related field
- Previous Food Safety, Quality Assurance, Environmental Compliance, and Auditing experience.
- Formal Primus GFS, GMP, HACCP training and experience.
Position Type / Expected Hours of Work
This is an exempt full time position. Days and hours of work are Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., off-season and Monday through Saturdays with extended varied work times, during the harvest seasons. Some Sundays may also be required during the harvest seasons.
Please note that this job description is not designed to cover or contain all duties and responsibilities that may be required of the candidate for this position. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
We are a progressive company that believes in management through empowerment. We encourage responsible autonomy, creative thinking, and team work to achieve our goals. We offer a competitive salary range and comprehensive benefits package with medical, dental, vision, 401k, Life Insurance, Long Term Disability and a profit sharing plan bases on company profitability.
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. M/F/D/V.