The Nunes Company, Inc. has an immediate full-time position for a Food Safety Coordinator. This is an excellent opportunity to join a large industry leading Salinas-based, grower shipper and begin a career in the agriculture industry.
The Food Safety Coordinator is primarily responsible for collecting water, soil and field product samples. This position will spend the majority of the time in the field and harvesting operations. The successful candidate will work among the Safety Department as part of a team to monitor and evaluate the workplace to ensure compliance with safety standards.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following as well as other duties and responsibilities, which may be assigned.
- Collects water, soil and field product samples.
- Interacts with growers to ensure practices comply with Food Safety standards.
- Ensure all company food safety policies, SOP’s and SSOP’s are being followed.
- Maintains necessary compliance paperwork related to food safety.
- Trains and effectively communicates food safety policies to all company employees and growers.
- Helps to establish sanitation program/standards that are consistent with Global Food Safety Initiative (“GFSI”) standards, current Good Manufacturing Practices and all Federal, State and Regulatory requirements.
- Conducts routine equipment swabbing and analyze results.
- Conducts internal audits based upon multiple audit schemes; develops and implements corrective action plans.
- Follows company policies and practices while representing company in an ethical and business-like manner in all interactions with employees, government agencies, growers, customers, etc.
OTHER QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
- Eagerness to acquire a good understanding of the agricultural and cold warehousing operations of a grower-shipper company.
- Eagerness to learn how to identify safety and health hazards and recommend improvements to identified unsafe conditions, materials, equipment, etc.
- Eagerness to acquire knowledge of Food Safety and Employee safety regulations (i.e. GFSI, OSHA, LGMA, etc.).
- Bilingual English/Spanish preferred
- Ability to identify and resolve problems independently and with sound judgment.
- Computer literate knowledge and proficiency of MSOffice (Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint) programs.
- Displays excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills necessary to interact effectively with individuals at all levels of the company and enjoy a fast-paced environment.
- Consistently demonstrates accuracy, thoroughness and dependability.
- Establishes and maintains effective channels of communications with internal and external contacts.
- Self-starter and works under minimum supervision.
- Must possess a current valid driver’s license and maintain a clean driving record.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
Incumbent will be required to travel to multiple locations throughout California, and will be required to relocate to the Yuma Arizona area during the growing/harvest season, December through March or as needed.
Competitive and comprehensive benefit package offered.
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. M/F/D/V.