Job Summary - The primary purpose of this position is to secure the right product, at the right price, from the right source, at the right time to achieve the sales and financial goals of assigned categories and enable the Company to achieve budget.
Essential functions include:
- Continually identify and determine optimum sources of supply
- Manage service levels and inventory of assigned categories
- Make purchase decisions and manage process for order fulfillment
- Be responsible for procuring designated quality and quantity
- Minimize cost of goods
- Minimize shrinkage/spoilage of fresh fruits and vegetables
- Manage marketing/promotional funds, rebates, slotting fees and payment terms
- Manage USDA inspection process with necessary
- Negotiate revised billing resulting from USDA inspection reports when applicable
- Communicate favorable purchasing opportunities to management
- Support established logistical procedures to facilitate product arrival
- Communicate effectively to all department supervisors.
- Seek opportunity/spot buys;
- Monitor and report items/categories/business trends within assigned categories;
- Maintain awareness of market trends, technology and food safety;
- Maintain awareness of Company’s marketing strategies and competitive activity;
- Ensure that product recalls are completed
- Participate in plant/QA tours.
- Candidate should possess Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- 5+ years produce buying experience
- Strong negotiating skills,
- Multiple task management,
- Be able to set priorities, meet deadlines, and able to accomplish team objectives.
- Candidate should possess excellent verbal and written communication skills with computer competency, including Excel & Word.
Return to Job Description Top Page