The Research Scientist integrates molecular biology, genetics, synthetic biology, and fungal biotechnology to develop and characterize novel fungal strains with enhanced downstream bioprocessing characteristics through overexpression of native and foreign genes. The overall goal of the project is to enhance the production of nutraceutical and other high-value compounds using cultured fungi.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty in a satisfactory manner. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and ability required for this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to ensure individuals with disabilities are able to perform the work functions.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Optimize and utilize protocols for Agrobacterium and/or homology-directed repair/CRISPR-based transformation of fungi.
- Design and assemble single and multiple genes and promoters and terminators into vectors such as pCAMBIA using traditional cloning techniques and/or Gibson assembly and/or hot fusion.
- Design and order vectors, synthetic genes, synthetic RNA, oligos, etc. from outside vendors
- Transform and maintain bacterial and fungal cultures.
- Perform molecular and biochemical analyses of cisgenic and transgenic lines expressing custom genetic constructs.
- Perform all necessary activities related to the design, execution, and troubleshooting of experiments.
- Keep detailed records and provide data in a timely manner.
- Planning and Organizing – Engages in short and long-term planning, sets priorities to optimize time usage, adheres to schedules and plans.
- Creativity and Innovation – Initiates conceptual ideas with practical applications, develops creative strategies and opportunities, creative thinking and problem solving, promotes a creative climate.
- Judgment and Decision Making – Solves problems, considers relevant alternatives before making decisions, displays intuitive judgment, shows timeliness and conviction in making recommendations and decisions.
- Teamwork and Relationship-Building Skills – Assists team members in accomplishing their objectives by helping things go right, establishes effective working relationships, and promotes team efforts.
- Adaptability and Change Management Skills – Ability to change to fit changed circumstances. Has the skill to multi-task and juggle competing priorities.
- Develops Subordinates or Self – Helps subordinates learn and grow, maintains current knowledge in the field.
- Communication and Cooperation – Effectively communicate upward, downward, and laterally. Prevents unproductive responses, improves the effectiveness of communications and interactions with others.
- Accountability and Productivity – Holds themselves accountable to team members, accepts responsibility for their own decisions, sustains peak performance, and solves problems that impede productivity.
Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities:
A solid skill set in basic bioinformatics as wells as expert skills in molecular biologies, such as multigene assembly into expression cassettes, codon optimization systems, site mutagenesis, PCR, RT-PCR, Southern blot, protein engineering, and biomass bioprocessing is desired. The successful candidate is expected to be independent and has excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Education and Work Experience:
- Ph.D. in plant biology or related field
- Experience in Plant pathology, Genetics, Genomics, Mycology, and Plant Biotechnology
- Fungal biotechnology, or a related discipline with a strong publication record in high impact journals
- Highly motivated individuals with a strong background in recombinant DNA systems and molecular biology and with direct experience in Agrobacterium transformation and/or CRISPR-based homology-directed repair integration in fungi is strongly encouraged to apply.
The company has reviewed this job description to ensure that essential functions and basic duties have been included. It is intended to provide guidelines for job expectations and the employee's ability to perform the position described. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all functions, responsibilities, skills, and abilities. Additional functions and requirements may be assigned by supervisors as deemed appropriate. This document does not represent a contract of employment, and the company reserves the right to change this job description and/or assign tasks for the employee to perform, as the company may deem appropriate
Equal Opportunity Employer/ Veterans/ Disabled
For full details, including physical demands, request the full job description.
Food Safety Jobs - Greenhouse Jobs - Research & Development Jobs - Agriculture Jobs - Seed Jobs