The Purchasing Manager will manage key sourcing, purchasing, leasing and vendor relationships. This includes a broad spectrum of activity, including seed and seedlings, packaging and manufacturing, chemicals and fertilizer. This role will focus on enhancing procurement strategy and optimizing value from our vendor partners through effective management of our significant annual spend. This includes delivering cost savings, cash flow improvements, supply optimization, risk management, supply agreements and supplier relationship management.
The Purchasing Manager must be a broadly skilled strategic procurement leader with a high level of intelligence, executive presence, business acumen and a natural leader with a curious outlook. The role requires hands on, self-starter that is capable of driving change. Additionally, this role requires strong partnering skills with a commercial perspective, strong negotiation and analytical experience and a desire to lead continuous improvement. The position will manage and develop a direct team.
The essential functions of this position include, but are not limited to:
- Engage in collaborative and aggressive cost and quality optimization strategies with suppliers, internal team and related process improvements using value analysis, negotiation skills, and vendor evaluation.
- Develop and implement purchasing strategies for supplier development and sourcing
- Work to continually improve our suppliers in terms of quality, pricing, availability/on-time delivery, lead-times, communication and long-term planning
- Work with multiple departments within the Company on new product launches to include managing all packaging from initial launch to end of product life cycle.
- Manage supplier risk to mitigate business continuity risk and production interruptions
- Drive continuous improvements to create flexible and efficient supplier base
- Promote a positive Company image, understands and supports overall Department and Company priorities.
- Establish and maintains positive relationships with team members, manager and all stakeholders that reflect a reputation for professional communications, service, trust, integrity, reliability, attention to detail and urgency.
- Maintain the highest standards of confidentiality regarding critical and sensitive information.
- Perform any other duties as assigned. Must have reliable, predictable attendance and punctuality.
- Must have reliable, predictable attendance and punctuality.
- Other duties as assigned by the Chief Financial Officer.
To perform this job successfully, the employee must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education Training and/or Experience
- Bachelor's Degree (minimum) in Business, Science related discipline, or Engineering is preferred; an MBA and or MS is highly desirable. Relevant procurement certifications are valued.
- 5 plus years of experience with procurement/supply chain management with progression through management positions
- Expertise in managing and negotiating supplier contracts
- Deep understanding of sourcing and procurement best practices that support supplier assessment, qualification and ongoing management review process
- Demonstrated ability to drive continuous cost reductions and vendor optimization
- Extensive background of cross-functional collaboration, executive level communications as well as strong interpersonal, networking and relationship-building skills.
- Passion for coaching and development and ability to have fun
Language and Communication Skills
To perform this job successfully, an individual must have the ability to communicate effectively in all circumstances, including over the phone, email and in person. Must have excellent written and verbal interpersonal skills to communicate, work with and respond to questions from employees, team members, supervisor, management and external stakeholders. Must be able to effectively present information.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be proficient with Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
Other Skills and Attributes
- Promotes a positive Company image and supports Department, and Company priorities.
- Must be able to maintain and abide by confidentiality.
- Must be honest, trustworthy and respectful.
- Must be a team player with a can-do attitude and be goal driven.
- Must work well with minimal supervision, take initiative, be a self-starter, have a sense of urgency and be process driven.
- Must be able to work independently and in a team environment, with minimal supervision, in a fast pace and high volume environment with an emphasis on accuracy and timeliness.
- Must have excellent communication, organizational skills and great attention to detail.
- Must have excellent analytical, quantitative, execution and project management skills.
- Must have the ability to multitask problem solving, and data analysis skills.
- This position requires the ability to work well under pressure, be flexible and meet Company goals and deadlines.
Must be able to work full-time during normal business hours. On occasion, this position will require working outside normal business hours.
Annual Rate: $75k to $100k
Buyer Jobs - Seed Jobs - Sr. Management Jobs - Agriculture Jobs - Management Jobs