The Grower Accountant is responsible for assisting the Finance Department with Accounting for Growers. This professional level position will ensure accurate and timely payments to growers as well as perform proper complex accounting of all grower-related costs, crop investment activities through grower settlement, and accurate and timely account reconciliations. Responsible for providing support and information sharing to varying inter-department, company subsidiaries and cross-functional groups. Under general supervision, will perform routine and non-routine grower accounting activities. Responsible for specialized calculations, ledger postings and numerous accounting functions as they relate to grower accounting and the settlement process.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Responsible for development and implementation of accounting processes for Ocean Mist Farms’ complex shared equity growing deals;
- Responsible for development and monitoring complex accounting transactions in multiple countries;
- Responsible for the documentation and reconciliation of accounting activities from custom developed grower settlement application;
- Responsible for weekly calculations, system inputs and reconciliation of charges to the growers;
- Will be cross-trained and perform necessary weekly grower settlement and other accounting functions for the Grower Accountant Staff and Grower Accounting Manager during absences and vacation.
- Other duties as assigned
Cross-functional Communication and Support
- Provides guidance, support and direction to other functional groups pertaining to the grower accounting and inventory processes;
- Communicates to and education employees on the internal control requirements pertaining to these same functions.
Accounting Department Support
- Coordinate and assist with the month end close process to ensure the reporting of accurate and timely month end results;
- Submit correcting journal entries to the general accounting group for posting and prepare accounts receivable general ledger related account reconciliations;
- Will be cross-trained in other accounting functions as required.
- Other duties as assigned
- Prepare necessary analytical schedules to support the month end results;
- Prepare requested management reporting and analysis as it relates to crop investment for the Finance and Production departments;
- Prepare ad hoc reporting as requested by management as it relates to crop investments.
- Prepare complex Board Reports and submit for review and update Board Summaries once reviewed
- Other duties as assigned
- Will work in cross-functional teams as required to improve the processed used to complete the responsibilities of the position and other areas in the company.
- Assist Invoicing: Act as primary backup to the Invoicing Specialist;
- Perform AP vouchers for GA Direct Entry Generator process for necessary growers.
- Other duties as assigned.
ESSENTIAL QUALIFICATIONS, EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE:
- Minimum of Associates Degree focused in accounting or finance required.
- Equivalent experience is desired; not required.
- Requires continuing education as needed for role and other job-related areas.
- A minimum of 4 years of grower accounting experience is desired, not required.
- A minimum of 4 years of comparable experience in related agriculture accounting is highly desired.
- Advanced knowledge of spreadsheet applications (MS Excel) is highly desired.
- Advanced proficiency in various programs and Famous database (desired), including MS Office (Word, Outlook, and PowerPoint, Adobe) applications and internet research skills is highly desired.
- A self-starter, ensure delegated tasks are completed with minimal supervisor follow up. Proactively communicate task and project updates to supervisor;
- Bilingual in English and Spanish is required;
- Discreet handling of all business matters;
- Coordinate workflow effectively, efficiently, and neatly with a high level of attention to detail as well as superior organizational skills.
- Excellent analytical skills are an integral component is carrying out required duties and responsibilities associated with this position.
- California driver’s license and the ability to be covered under company-sponsored vehicle insurance programs are required.
- A valid passport and the ability to travel internationally without restrictions are also required.
- Work under general supervision; however, requires the exercise of discretion and independent judgment on significant matters.
- Must be able to work both independently and as part of a team; identify and resolve complex problems; and manage multiple high visibility projects;
- Ability to manage a project from its initiation to completion with minimal supervision.
- Ability to carry out defined procedures and duties with specific instructions.
- Ability to learn new duties with minimal repetition.
- Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to work well with all levels of internal management and staff as well as outside clients and vendors and maintain effective working relationships with all parties.
- Strong ability to communicate verbally and comprehend verbal and written communication and instructions
- Must keep Grower Accounting Manager informed on all matters that directly affect the department.
Headquartered in Castroville, California near Monterey Bay, Ocean Mist Farms is one of California’s leading growers of premium quality produce. We have an affiliation with seven companies with operations in California, Arizona and Mexico. Founded in 1924, we are privately held, the largest producer of artichokes in North America and produce over 30 other fresh vegetable commodities. Our operations include plant breeding, farming, harvesting, cooling, distribution and sales. Ocean Mist Farms’ fresh vegetable product line is sold domestically and internationally year-round. To learn more about our company, please visit www.oceanmist.com
Accounting Jobs - Administrative Jobs - Agriculture Jobs - Human Resources Jobs - Research & Development Jobs