The Director of Operations is responsible for overseeing and managing all activities and requirements for the Value-Added Processing Facilities to ensure adherence to good manufacturing practices and standard operating procedures while meeting customers’ requirements and maintaining the highest personnel safety and food safety standards, and time and cost efficiencies. The Director of Operations is responsible for the management of personnel, equipment, raw materials, and execution of the daily production schedule, and oversees bulk product inventory levels to assure the adequate supply of quality product. The Director will be responsible for managing the 24/7 operation demands to fulfill clients expectations as well as business goals and objectives.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- Minimum five (5) + years of food processing experience in a USDA / HACCP manufacturing environment, preferably in fresh-cut produce processing.
- Experience with USDA Rules & Regulations.
- Bachelor's Degree in Food Safety, Microbiology, Chemistry, Food Science, Manufacturing Engineering or related field preferred.
- Demonstrate leadership in the areas of food safety, quality assurance & plant regulatory.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint) and other computer software programs as needed.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
- HACCP Certification from a nationally or internationally recognized and accredited HACCP training firm. (Required)
- Valid California Driver’s License.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following, but are not limited to:
- Direct and manage plant operations for Production, Packaging, Maintenance, Safety, Sanitation, and Shipping & Receiving; set goals and objectives and establish policies for the various departments in the organization.
- Implement, manage and evaluate operation processes and procedures, in accordance with the standards and to improve and standardize all aspects of operations.
- Ensure compliance with government regulations in the areas of employee safety, food safety, environmental, and employee practices. (FDA, HACCP, GMP, USDA, EPA, OSHA)
- Ensure that operational processes stay within agreed upon budgets and timelines by controlling costs and keeping the organization on track financially; control and minimize labor overtime and repair expenses.
- Direct the overall activities of the manufacturing facilities to ensure customer orders are received, scheduled, produced and shipped at the lowest possible cost to meet the customers' requirements while maintaining corporate established quality standards.
- Ensure that appropriate standard operating procedures (SOP's) are developed and maintained for all aspects of the business, including facility cleanliness for food safety standards.
- Implement plant safety programs and ensure compliance with good manufacturing practices (GMP's).
- Communicate with Executive team at weekly meetings providing reports, status of operations, and identifying areas for short- and long-term improvements.
- Establish and track KPIs and interface with Executive team on strategies to streamline production practices.
- Provide leadership and training to accomplish the company goals and objectives.
- Maintain proper staffing levels, conduct employee performance evaluations, discipline, and employee commendation.
- Ensure that labor, ingredients, and equipment resources for production and support services are available and utilized effectively.
- Coordinate plant activities through planning with departmental managers to ensure the total manufacturing objectives are accomplished in a timely and cost-effective manner.
- Establish and monitor overall plant performance for production and quality standards.
- Provide leadership for assessing and enhancing plant capabilities; develop strategies and implementation plans
- Establish and maintain effective work relationships within the department and the company; build trust and credibility quickly at all levels within the organization while achieving key operating objectives.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS and ABILITIES
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Requires excellent leadership skills and requires an experienced professional who can balance overseeing day-to-day operations as well as longer range planning, analysis strategic planning.
- Must have the ability to be strategic and operational.
- Ability to work in a high-speed manufacturing environment.
- Strong, logical decision-making skills; know when to escalate issues to higher authority.
- Must have strong organizational, leadership and communication skills.
- Proven experience and ability to lead Capex projects.
- Experience with machine and equipment mechanical aptitude and proficiency, with the ability to work knowledgably with engineers, designers, mechanics, machine operators and more.
- Must be able to efficiently manage time and meet deadlines.
- Exhibit sense of ownership and accountability.
- Ability to multitask with strong attention to detail.
Excellent written and oral communication skills.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common scientific and technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents. Ability to respond to common inquiries. Ability to effectively present information to senior management satisfactorily.
Bilingual: Required [English/Spanish]
Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference, and fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. Exposed to temperatures of 28 degrees to 100 degrees Fahrenheit with both ambient and 100% humidity. May be exposed to noise ranges of 50 db. to 110 db. May be exposed to all chemicals used in a Value-Added Packing Food Processing Facility. Must wear and use protective and safety equipment required for the job as directed by the Company. Exposure to environmental changes (heat, cold, dampness, chemicals). Working conditions; manufacturing environment requiring strict work/safety rules approximately 100% of the time.