Bonduelle Fresh Americas has an entry level seasonal position for an enthusiastic, hard-working Harvest Inspector. This is an excellent opportunity to join a large, industry leading food processor, California-based processor.
Some prior experience in the produce industry is desired, basic knowledge of leafy greens commodity groups and GAPs.
Under the direction of the Field Food Safety Manager, the position is responsible for collecting at harvest samples of leafy greens commodities, preparing samples for further testing (enrichment step) and submitting those samples to the laboratory. The successful candidate will have the ability to work in an agriculture environment, multi-task and take part in other food safety assignments. Responsibilities include daily communication with crop managers, harvester, driving to designated ranch and lots, conducting at harvest sampling, preparing samples for delivery to the laboratory (sample enrichment), preparing laboratory submission forms, driving to the laboratory and submitting samples to the laboratory, operating portable equipment such as incubators, and maintaining sampling equipment.
Responsibilities & Duties:
- Daily driving to the designated ranch and lots, and to the laboratory.
- Follow all applicable GAP and food safety requirements.
- Following BFA sampling protocols and aseptic techniques, conduct at harvest sampling of leafy greens.
- Labeled samples with pertinent sample ID information
- Enrich samples in preparation for further lab testing
- Creating sampling reports to summarize the day’s work.
- Comply with all BFA safety requirements.
- Interactions with crop managers/ harvesters to communicate any issues encounter during sampling.
- Maintaining necessary compliance paperwork.
- Participate with any required food safety trainings.
- Follow required safety and Food safety regulations.
- Comply with all growers and harvesting company GAP and safety requirements.
- Some prior experience in the produce industry is desired.
- Bilingual English & Spanish desired.
- Basic computer skills and familiarity with Microsoft Excel is desired.
- Must have flexibility with schedule, must be able to work on weekends.
- Competencies - Ability to work under pressure and to meet tight deadlines; ability to analyze, understand and solve problems; teamwork; and excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to work outdoors (field environment) for long periods of time (minimum 8 hrs. per day)
- Must have reliable transportation
- Good driving record
- Must be familiar with growing areas in California (Salinas Valley)
- Regular travel within California growing area (greater Salinas valley)
- Seasonal position from August to mid-November.